With outdoor spaces becoming even more critical over the last couple of years, a Birmingham School contacted us earlier this year regarding some alterations that would definitely come under the heading of school refurbishment.
Best described as a brick shed, the space served as a place that provided a sheltered area for:
- Outdoor learning and,
- An area for the children to hang out at playtime during colder days.
The proposal was to refurbish the building turning a helpful but windowless and often cold space into something that could, by comparison, be described as luxurious.
Our specialist education team as well as offering school construction services, have completed many school refurbishments over the years (all DBS checked and signed off) and knows exactly what’s expected of them. With a short window of time to complete the tasks (at best six weeks over the summer holidays), organisation and planning are critical to a successful outcome.
A perfect example of a small school refurbishment
To turn this damp, cold outbuilding into something more practical and comfortable, the scope of work looked like this:
- Strip out the existing timber floor and seating
- Install a new concrete floor to incorporate adequate insulation, and moisture-resistant membrane topped off with a screed finish
- Four new uPVC windows with tilt & turn opening lights
- A new aluminium front door with an opening compliant with the rules set out by the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act)
- Insulated ceiling with plasterboard finish
- The external facing walls were to be studded out and finished with insulated plasterboard and skim.
- New electrics enabled LED lights and heat panels to provide warmth and light on cold, dull days during winter.
- And to top the project off, the flight of stairs currently used to access the building are to be replaced by a DDA-compliant ramp and handrails to enable wheelchair access.
Once completed, this minor but purposeful school refurbishment will provide a warm, dry and practical space for education and play, which we’re sure will benefit children and staff alike for many years to come. Like to learn more about other refurbishment projects we’ve completed, view our schools gallery here for an insight into past projects.
Need help developing your own Construction or Refurbishment project? Or maybe you need help with a Mechanical and Electrical Installation. Send us a message with your details, we'd love to hear from you.